Saturday 9 April 2011

Satmap Active 10

www.microlodge.co.uk

It's been a glorious Saturday weather-wise, and so hard to believe that just 6 days ago I was caught in a blizzard up Ben Chonzie.
I took a stroll up West Lomond with the intention of testing out the new satnav in a location I'm very familiar with.
I had downloaded the route as a gpx file from the excellent 'Walk Highlands' website and stuck it into the unit which was a very easy task.   The return leg was on a track I had never used before, so it was a good test.

I'm so impressed.  The unit tracked me to the route within 15 feet, and had it been whiteout conditions, I would now be very confident that this piece of kit would get me safely off the hill.  I'll still carry map and compass, but I can see them being stuck in the rucksack as backup rather than the main method of navigation.



From the reservoir.

Well, early to bed tonight and up at stupid o'clock to drive to Crianlarich, do a couple of Munros, then back up to Loch Ness for a day.

Good news just in from the Willows in Abersoch.  Their Hobbits are getting excellent bookings in.  Hurrah!

Also got my invitation in today for Garys wedding, so I guess I'd better get the kilt aired out for that.  
No doubt he'll also be wanting time off work leaving me home-alone whilst he jaunts off on honeymoon.
Never mind, I'll have the dog in the workshop to keep me company.

No comments: