Sunday 5 September 2010

Up the Hills




What a lovely weekends weather.
On Friday morning, the latest Hobbit headed North to Kinlochleven, which sits on the last leg of the West Highland Way when heading to Fort William.
Upon arrival, Callum, as usual, had everything under control and ready to offload the truck, and the job was done in half an hour.
Then, it was off that evening to watch Scotlands spectacular 0-0 draw.

Next morning, up bright and early, and once again, thanks to Callum, who lent me his OS map as I had left mine at home, I kitted up for the days activities.
The mist was just burning off as I set out from Blackwater Hostel, through the village and started the ascent to join the West Highland Way.
From there, I followed the pathway for a few miles, then headed off track to climb Beinn na Caillich at 764 metres. The views all around were stunning. Oh, if anyone does this walk....to reach the summit, take the northern path and not the southern as I did...unless you like vertical rock climbing and scrabbling across scree slopes.
After lunch at the top, I headed along the ridge to Mam na Gualainn at 796 Metres before descending from there to rejoin the West Highland Way and back to town.
I recommend this walk highly as it's only about 10 1/2 miles and not overly taxing.

No comments: